Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: 2012 Panini Football Donruss Elite Football Hobby Box

This week we had some new releases which I will review each one by one. The first will be the 2012 Panini Football Donruss Elite. This has always been a really good product in the past and again for 2012 this didn't disappoint.
I purchased 1 Hobby box on release day to try them out this year. The base cards are sleek in their recognizable Elite design and the hits are 4 per box (2 autographs and 2 memorabilia cards) in addition to this are 4 rookie cards numbered /999 or less.
Filler cards were only in 10 packs leaving the other 10 packs thin. Easy to pick out which had which to search. Good idea but might have been better for all packs to have them to take both the autographs and memorabilia packs a secret.
After opening the first few packs I noticed that you really need to be easy on the ripping as the cards can easily bend or chip due to the foil on the cards. The are thin cards so this will happen all the time if your not careful, luckily I didn't have any damaged cards in the box.
Each subset card is numbered, which I find adds more value to them and the design of the subsets are always great with this product. I came away with 7 numbered subsets that were all different.
After all done and said here is what I received in the box break:
Base cards - 88 (6 doubles)
Numbered Rookies - (4) Hightower /999, Turbin /999, Brown /799, Harnish /999
Memorabilia cards - (2) New Bread Jersey Ronnie Hillman /399, Redemption Prime-Auto Miles Austin /10
Autograph cards - (1) Rookie Dan Herron /399
Subsets - (7) Craftsman (Manning /149, Turner /399), Hitlist (Lofton /999), Elite Series (Doug Martin /999, Gates /999), Prime numbers (Marshall /999), Rookie Hard Hats (AJ Jenkins /399)

Overall I'm very pleased with this box. I loved the base cards and the subsets. Numbered cards always are exciting to pull out of packs. I'm not a fun of sticker autographs but the memorabilia pieces look great. Didn't pull any of the high-end rookies but with only 4 in the box they are tough to pull. I did miss out on 1 hit but Panini is very good at providing a reliable customer service and after the break was done I filled out the forms and sent in the required items to their department. I will provide an update once I have the replacement card in hand. 
I would recommend this box to any collector looking for a mid-high range product to bust. The cost currently is in the $110-120 range but could be higher depending on how well the product does on the secondary market. If your looking for a score on flipping this product it is a little tough. I managed to pull the Austin /10 but you won't find that on every box. You might get your money back on the box and might have a big score to add a little extra but it is a hit or miss on the product for book/secondary market value. 


Gambler Overall Rating: 3.75 out of 5
Cost: 3.5/5
Autographs: 3/5 
Memorabilia: 4/5
Design: 4/5
Rookies: 4/5
Fun Aspect: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment