Friday, September 07, 2012

Product Review: 2012 LEAF Pete Rose The Living Legend

I never thought I would say this but I was very intrigued with this product. Now I'm not a fan per-say of Pete Rose but he is within the history of baseball. And being a fan of the history of the game I was going to pick up one of these boxes to try it out.
The one thing that was still in my mind before I picked these up was the fact the cards didn't have any MLB logos showing. This is something I have stayed away from on every product coming out the doors. but I had to remember I was getting an autographed card of Pete Rose in the box. 
There was nothing fancy about this product other than the Autographs and/or Autographed memorabilia you could pull. In each of these Blaster type boxes you will receive 1 Autographed card or Autographed Memorabilia Redemption card, along with 10 packs (6 cards per pack) of the base set. To top it off the Base set is only 50 cards deep, so you could come out with a complete base set. Again no logos showing but a decent little write up on each card of Mr. Rose during that time depicted on the front of the card.
If anyone has ever been to card show or Las Vegas and seen Mr. Rose signing autographs, you know he is not the most pleasant everyday. He (and the stores/shows) charge a lot of money for his autograph on items as well, so for a product to come out that gives you a guaranteed autograph of him for a lower price is a not even a question. You buy it!
So I bought a couple of boxes just to see what I would come out with in each box. Plus not knowing the odds of the Autographed Memorabilia Redemption card I figured I was due to receive two autographed cards.

Box #1:
Base Card set: 50
Doubles: 10
Autograph: 1 AU-5

Box #2:
Base Card set: 50
Doubles: 10
Autograph: 1 AU-47

For the price I paid for these 2 boxes I still wouldn't have been able to have Mr. Rose sign anything for me at a store in Las Vegas or a card show. I added two decent sticker autographs of a baseball legend and 2 base sets. I did like that the Autographed cards are already in a penny sleeve inside a hardcover within the box. No searching each pack or wondering where it is. Just right there waiting for you when you open the box. Again, there is nothing fancy on these base cards as they don't have the team logos showing but an ok set if your into these type of single player sets at a low cost. 

Gambler Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
Cost: 5/5
Autographs/Memorabilia: 4/5
Design: 3/5
Set Builders: 5/5
Fun Aspect: 3/5

3 comments:

  1. Alpha_Sigma749/07/2012 11:05 am

    Can you post pics of your pulls????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased one of these boxes today at my local target. I to was very intrigued. Got to my car and opened it, and what do you know, no auto. I though maybe it was in the packs so I opened them. No Auto. I tried to take it back and was told that Target policy is to not return opened sports cards. I am now contacting Leaf, lets hope I can get what I paid for.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought a box of this and also did not get an auto. Got it from Wal-Mart. I was not able to get ahold of Leaf yet.

      Delete